Friday, July 27, 2012

A Chevron Blanket

I think I've mentioned before how much I love yarn.

I have an obsession with new skeins.  I feel compelled to roll them into a nice, neat little ball.

























Maybe it's because, usually, I wash the skeins in a lingerie bag before I using it, especially if I'm using a really cheap, scratchy yarn, and it kind of needs to be rolled up after it's washed.  This stuff seemed soft enough that I didn't do that this time.



Chevron patterns always end up smaller than you anticipate.  They rows naturally squeeze together and they make a nice and tight, thick fabric.  I've made the gauge a little tight on this pattern.  I plan on washing the blanket once it's finished to loosen it up - and to soften it, of course!  I'm hoping by the time I pull it out of the dryer it will be the perfect texture and softness.


It might take me a few weeks to finish, but I'll post pics when I'm done!

9 comments:

Mika said...

That is going to be really lovely. :)

Charmain said...

Thanks Aimee! It's slow going because it's all single crochet, but I can't wait to see the finished product!

Jillian said...

Beautiful! I wish I knew how to do that. :)

Laura Maxell said...

beautiful - my nana used to make this style of afghan/blanket all the time when she was alive...
thanks for sharing
laura

Charmain said...

Thank you, Ladies!

Laura, my grandmother made these also! I LOVE that the styles she used to crochet are cycling back around with such fresh new looks!

Carla Pereira said...

Hi from Portugal,
I loved the Blanket, the blog, everything around here is beautifull.
Congratulations.
Carla Pereira
http://crochetdacarla.blogspot.pt/

Charmain said...

Thank you, Carla! Glad to have you visiting from your side of the world!

BunnyandBirdie said...

I like that taupe-y colour. What brand is that? I agree about acrylic being much more user friendly. I love all-natural yarns but I cringe at the idea of giving handmade items to someone who won't want to care for them properly.

Charmain said...

Bunny - Isn't that a great color? I decided to work the other colors around that because I like it so much sitting there on the shelf in the store.

It's a Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Yarn and the color is Linen. Here is a link to the yarn:

http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannaschoice.html