Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spiced Syrup

In spite of the fact that not a single Sycamore leaf has changed color, and the temperatures aren't supposed to dip below 70 degrees this week in sunny southern California - it still feels like fall.

Halloween is over and I've been indulging my craving for the aroma of spiced cider by mulling whole cloves, allspice berries, and cinnamon on my stove.

Even if it doesn't look or feel like fall, it smells like fall.

I though I'd share one of my favorite spice recipes. I love this syrup. We made it with apple juice and had it over baked french toast for dinner. Mmmm...



* Instead of using ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Cloves - mull your fruit juice with a tea infuser or tied off cheese cloth filled with whole Allspice Berries, whole Cloves, broken up Cinnamon Sticks, and Orange Zest (or simplify and use the Williams Sonoma Mulling Spices).